Odessa Branch Institute of Biology of the Southern Seas, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (OBIBSS)
The Institute was established in 1964 by the special resolution of the Presidium of Academy of Sciences of the USSR.The three working at that time on the Black Sea Ukrainian biological stations (in Sevastopol, Odessa and Karadag) were united into one Kovalevsky Institute of Biology of the Southern Seas of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic (IBSS). Later it was transformed into Odessa Branch of the IBSS (OBIBSS).
The main scientific direction of OBIBSS is the research of the structure,
space-time variability and sea ecosystems functioning in connection with the habitat conditions. Scientific trends are being worked out and orientated towards the solution of theoretical and applied issues of constructive aquatic ecology including:
- faunistics and floristics of the areas under study, systematic of separate groups of hydrobionts, inventory of the flora and fauna – the evaluation and working out of standards for anthropogenic loads on water ecosystems, pollution and self-purification of aquatic biocoenoses
- ecology of water body subjects to the influence of large port-industrial complexes and communal agglomerations
- hydrobiological amelioration and restoration of damaged ecosystems
- mathematical modeling of aquatic ecosystems for the purpose of
obtaining unbiased diagnosis and prognosis of their state
- the creation of computer bases of ecological data on the north-western Black Sea shelf, coastal areas and limans of the Danube-Dniester interfluve.
We are always ready to cooperate with the other partners within the REEFS project and we see our role in the REEFS project:
- to ensure the smooth project implementation in Ukraine
- to coordinate the research activities of the REEFS project and participate in the methodology and training packages development.
Contact person: Prof. Boris Alexandrov , Head of OBIBSS
Address: 37 Pushkinskaya St., 65011 Odessa, UKRAINE
Phone/Fax: +0038 048 725 09 18
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com